Monday, March 26, 2012

Fresh Lime Pie Tweetcipe

It’s been over a year since I’ve visited a former, and perhaps my favorite home. I lived on the island of Tortola in the British Virgin Islands for almost 10 years. I worked as a massage therapist when I arrived there, but during lean times I found some work at a restaurant called The Fish Trap, making cheesecake and fresh lime pie.

Tortola has been on my mind a lot lately, so I’m going to share a simple pie recipe from my Caribbean era. The recipe comes from The Sugar Mill Hotel Cookbook. The Sugar Mill is the nicest boutique hotel on Tortola, and lunching at the hotel’s Island Restaurant, which sits right on the beach on the North side, was always a treat, even for us residents.

FRESH LIME PIE

1 lightly baked store-bought pie shell
3 eggs, separated
1 small can sweetened condensed milk
½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
Lime zest from 1 lime
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
¼ cup of sugar

Preheat oven at 350. Pour condensed milk into a medium bowl. Beat egg yolks in a small bowl with a hand mixer until light yellow and thick. Stir into condensed milk. Add lime juice and rind. Pour into prepared crust. In a clean bowl with clean beaters beat egg whites with cream of tartar until thick and then very slowly add sugar. Beat until shiny peaks form. Spread over lime filling making swirls and peaks. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment