Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Pink Pickled Onions Tweetcipe

Every once in awhile, when I’m eating in a restaurant, I come across a dish that has pickled onions in it. The onions, whether in a salad or as a garnish, make the plate visually appealing and make my taste buds say “hello!”

I was cooking for a client a few months ago and a green salad was on the menu. I wanted to add something a little different to the salad and decided to make pickled onions for the first time. I don’t know why I waited so long – the recipe is incredibly simple, the onions keep in the refrigerator for a month or more, and it’s a great ingredient or garnish that adds pizzazz and hints of “gourmet” origins.

Pink Pickled Onions

8 ounces champagne vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
2 Serrano chilies, seeded and julienned
2 medium red onions, thinly sliced

In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar, sugar, and chilies to a boil. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Place the sliced onions in a glass container and pour the liquid over them. Stir. Place the container in an ice bath to cool. Serve chilled in salads and with meats. These are also great on sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment