Monday, February 28, 2011

Chicken Curry Tweetcipe

I’ve always admired people who can intuitively cook, never needing to look at a recipe. When I cook for a client I always bring the printed recipes because I’m likely to forget an ingredient or two until it’s too late. I rely on my lists and backup systems! However, I was cooking for a client a couple of weeks ago and had forgotten my printed recipe for Chicken Curry with Cashews. So this time I was on my own, no safety net, and I’m happy to report that my client loved it! I like to serve this over brown basmati rice. Here’s the recipe I made up on the spot:

½ t cumin seeds
¼ cup butter
1 chopped onion
¼ lb fresh green beans, cut in half
3 minced garlic cloves
1 T fresh ginger, processed on a zester
3 T curry powder
½ t sriracha sauce (or a dash of cayenne)
salt to taste
1 – 14 oz can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
¾ cup plain yogurt
4 chicken boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks
1 cup toasted cashews, chopped coarsely

Heat a soup pot over low heat and toast cumin seeds. Stir often and be careful not to burn them. When the seeds start to brown and become fragrant, turn the heat to medium and add the butter, onions, garlic, ginger and green beans. Stir occasionally until onions are softened. Add salt, curry, sriracha sauce, stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add chicken and stir. Add tomatoes plus juice, and cilantro. Turn the heat down, stir, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in yogurt and serve. I like to ladle the curry over basmati rice or quinoa, and generously sprinkle cashews on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment